|Education Required:||Bachelors Degree|
|Career Level:||Experienced (Non-Manager)|
Control Systems Service Engineers are responsible for the technical service support of electronic control systems used on Mitsubishi and non-OEM gas turbines. Control system service activities include evaluation of operating issues or enhancements, adjustment of turbine control settings, logic changes, and / or hardware modifications to the instrument and control system to improve operability and unit reliability of the gas turbines. The products supported include CPUs, data highways, software and electronic devices (positioners, switches, routers, instruments, etc.). The Control Systems Service Engineer III is an advanced engineering position that requires knowledge of the engineering principles related to control and electrical systems and experience in the application of these principles. In this role, the engineer will demonstrate the capability to perform work assignments on a wide variety of tasks with limited supervision. The engineer must have the capability to make sound recommendations regarding safety, reliability and integrity of the products and services being provided. The engineer will be given greater leadership responsibility and opportunities for direct interface with customers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Support the evaluation and enhancement of control system operations with an increasing scope of responsibility. The Control System Service Engineer III will execute increasingly difficult work assignments with limited supervision and will actively work to increase product knowledge and skills;
- Lead the preparation of functional logic descriptions, in English text form, extracting the functional requirements from P&IDs, system descriptions, component specifications, and other plant design documents to define objectives of control system modifications, noting the reason for the logic change and the basis for making required changes;
- Lead the preparation of design documents including SAMA logic drawings, specifications, work procedures, checklists, validation or test plans, and as-built drawings per MHPSA procedures that are required to achieve the operational improvements;
- Demonstrate creativity in the methods used and products / services being provided to enhance customer satisfaction (speed of delivery, quality, reliability, cost and performance);
- Lead the review of operational data from the affected GTs or other similar frame applications to identify the current operating characteristics that will be used as a benchmark for development of control system enhancements, utilizing PI, Excel or other data acquisition software;
- Provide diagnostic support for resolution of issues by performing root cause analyses and recommending improvements to control system logic or hardware including HMIs, CPUs, software, instruments and actuators.
- Lead the technical support provided to field service personnel on the judgment or interpretation of design criteria for Diasys UPV & Netmation, Ovation, and WDPF control systems;
- Communicate with MHI control system engineers to obtain consensus on logic and hardware modifications and to promote unified control system applications.
- Support ISO 9001 audits and compliance efforts, and where possible, enhance the documentation and configuration control methods in use by Gas Turbine Service Engineering;
- Support technical leadership of industry meetings including user conferences, industry conferences (PowerGen, ASME Turbo Expo, etc).
- Ensure products meet or exceed MHPSA and customer requirements;
- Mentor less experienced engineers on the gas turbine operations, control system architecture, control system logic practices, and the Engineering group’s design and development policies and procedures;
- Availability for work after normal working hours, weekends, and holidays as required;
- Perform other such duties as may be required.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures reporting all unsafe activities to Management and/or Human Resources.
- Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
- Contribute to building a positive team spirit.
- Communicate effectively with subordinates and management at all levels.
- Protect confidential information by not communicating, disclosing to, or using for benefit of third parties.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures.
- Some overnight travel (expected 5 to 15%) by land and/or air.
- Maintain the highest degree of honesty and integrity at all times.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EDUCATION
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience: MS [preferred] or BS degree in Computer Science, Controls, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited college or university. A minimum of ten (10) years of work experience, including logic programming and hardware configuration associated with digital control systems is required (some work credit may be given for MS or PhD degrees based on the relevancy of course and related project experience).
- Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as industry reports and technical journals. Ability to write technical reports and correspondence including customer reports. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one, small group, and large group situations to customers, clients, vendors and other employees of the organization.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to perform necessary calculations to satisfy job requirements.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to make judgment decisions based on specifications or technical requirements.
- Computer Skills: Advanced personal computer skills including graphics (, Visio, etc), Math Lab, MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access), etc.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, bend, talk and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee’s working environment maybe loud. The employee may be required to adhere to MHPSA and customer safety procedures including but not limited to, the use of personal protection equipment (hardhat, safety glasses, goggles, hearing and fall protection).
Interested applicants must submit their resumes to Jobs.OSC@MHPowerSystems.com with subject line Control Systems Service Engineer III.
MHPSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V) - Drug Free Workplace
The Safety of All MHPSA Employees is Our #1 Priority ..... Always!